Monday, July 26, 2010

There's an app for that

OK...I could spend the rest of my life eating nothing but appetizers.  Nothing. But. Appetizers.  I think I will open a restaurant called nothing but appetizers, and then I will spend the rest of my life eating there.  My favorite restaurant in the whole wide world is in Lincoln, NE called Lazlo's.  It is an appetizer lover's dream.  When my friends and I go...we just order a table full of appetizers. It can get a bit embarrassing when the other patrons think the table is being set for some sort of catering event...nope it's all for us peeps...yes just the 3 of us...yes all of it!!!

So one of my favorite appetizers of all time is called Lavosh and it is a fan favorite so I thought I would share the recipe. It's so easy and yummy!!!

So here is what Lavosh is...
It's kind of a pizza, sans sauce on a cracker.

So here are the players:

Lavosh Cracker...you can get these at most grocery stores in the specialty cheese/cracker section.  I always have found them at Hy-Vee.  They come in a pack of 3.  When you pick the package up kind of feel around the edges as many times the crackers can be broken beyond repair.  A little breaking is no big deal but you want it to be as close to a circle as possible.


Creamy Havarti Cheese...if you can find it shredded or if the deli will shred it for you awesomeness.  I have always had to shred my own at home.



OK so here is where you can get creative.  You can add any toppings you like.  I have always found success with green onions, bacon, grilled chicken...all chopped.  But you can do as little or as much as you would like.  Some options that go well with the havarti are:

tomatos
green peppers
turkey
ham
artichoke hearts
mushrooms

Now you could also switch it all up and do a BBQ chicken lavosh with BBQ chicken, monterrey jack cheese,  jalapeños, and red onions.

Ole!!!

Not sure where the Ole fits in here...I think the fact that I used the tilde on the jalapeños got me all sassy and over confidant.

Then you just kind of assemble it like you would a pizza.  Sprinkle the heavier toppings on first (i.e. meat, tomatoes, artichokes) then the lighter toppings (mushrooms, green onions).  The just drench the entire thing with a whole mess of shredded havarti cheese and bake at 400 degrees for about 5-10 minutes or until the cheese is bubbling and starting to brown.  Then take it out and cut it into squares.  Oh my gravy it's good.
***Don't mistake my use of the word gravy as a topping suggestion...because ewwwww.

So in closing...appetizers.  Live them, love them, exist exclusively on them.  You won't regret it!

No comments: